Civil partnership registration and ceremonies

Giving notice of civil partnership

Notice of civil partnership is a legal statement about your intention to form a civil partnership. It shows your personal details and those of your partner and the name of the venue where you will form a civil partnership.

The requirements for giving notice

You should both attend the register office to give your notice unless you live in different areas in which case you each go to your local register office. You will each need to have resided in the relevant district for at least 7 complete days before giving notice and you must have a civil partnership ceremony booked. Notice can be given up to 12 calendar months before the date of your civil partnership, and a minimum of 28 days before. There is a fee for giving notice which is non-refundable. You will need an appointment to give notice of civil partnership in Bromley.

Bromley Register Office is not designated to carry out legal preliminaries for persons subject to immigration control who wish to form a civil partnership. More information about civil partnerships for foreign nationals.

The Register Office at Bromley Civic Centre is on the first floor. Our lift is out of order whilst it is being replaced. Please follow instructions on arrival if you are unable to use the stairs.

What happens when you give notice at the Register Office

The Superintendent Registrar will ask you questions about your identity, age and freedom to form a civil partnership.  You will be asked to produce documents such as a birth certificate, passport or deed poll so that we can check your ages and the spelling of your names.  If either of you have been married or have entered into a civil partnership before you will need to produce a death certificate, divorce decree absolute or dissolution of civil partnership  to confirm your freedom to enter into a legal partnership.  If your divorce/dissolution was granted outside the UK it may be necessary for us to submit it to the General Register Office for final verification. 

Other documents may be requested depending upon individual circumstances.  Please bring original documents with you to the Register Office, with certified translations if applicable.  Photocopies are not accepted. 

After giving notice, your application is displayed on the Register Office's public notice board for 28 clear days (couples subject to immigration control may have their notice period extended to 70 days). It is therefore important to complete legal preliminaries, at your local register office or a designated register office, as soon as possible, to allow plenty of time before the ceremony is due to take place.


You will need to book an appointment using our online diary. Appointments are available up to 28 days in advance.

Booking online means you can browse the diary for the most convenient time and you will be able to amend or cancel appointments easily.

You can book by calling us, but you will be offered the next available appointment only. 

Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm.

If you need to arrange an urgent civil partnership for someone who is dying, outside our office hours of 9.30am to 4.30pm, please telephone the emergency duty officer on 0300 303 8671. 

Each notice of civil partnership costs £35 which is a non-refundable fee. 

£50-75 for consideration of foreign (outside British Isles) divorce/civil partnership dissolution documentation.

Bromley Registration Service

Department: London Borough of Bromley Following the latest Government announcement regarding the Covid-19 Global Pandemic, the Bromley Register Office has suspended all registration services with the exception of death registrations with immediate effect.


Tel: 0300 303 8667

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH