Civil partnership registration and ceremonies

Giving notice of civil partnership

Once you have made a booking for either a registration or ceremony you will both need to attend the register office in the district in which you live to give notice to the registrar.

Bromley Register Office is not designated to carry out legal preliminaries for persons subject to immigration control who wish to enter into a civil partnership. More information about marriage for foreign nationals.

The requirements for giving notice

Notice must be given by each party in person.  A notice is valid for 12 months.

In order to give notice in Bromley both of you must have lived in the Bromley local authority area for seven days immediately prior to the day on which you give notice and you must have a partnership registration booked.

 After giving notice, your application is displayed on the Register Office's public notice board for 28 clear days, (couples subject to immigration control may have their notice period extended to 70 days). It is therefore important to complete legal preliminaries, at your local register office or a designated register office, as soon as possible, to allow plenty of time before the partnership is due to take place.  After this period a schedule can be issued which allows the registration to take place.

What happens when you give notice at the Register Office

The Superintendent Registrar will ask you questions about your identity, age and freedom to marry.  You will be asked to produce documents such as a birth certificate, passport or deed poll so that we can check your ages and the spelling of your names.

If either of you have been married or have entered into a civil partnership before you will need to produce a death certificate, divorce decree absolute or dissolution of civil partnership  to confirm your freedom to enter into a legal partnership.  If your divorce/dissolution was granted outside the UK it may be necessary for us to submit it to the General Register Office for final verification. 

Other documents may be requested depending upon individual circumstances.  Please bring original documents with you to the Register Office, with certified translations if applicable.  Photocopies are not accepted. 


You will need to book an appointment using our online diary. Appointments are available up to 28 days in advance.

Booking online means you can browse the diary for the most convenient time and you will be able to amend or cancel appointments easily.

You can book by calling us, but you will be offered the next available appointment only. 

Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm.

If you need to arrange an urgent civil partnership for someone who is dying, outside our office hours of 9.30am to 4.30pm, please telephone the emergency duty officer on 020 8464 4848. 


Each notice of marriage costs £35 which is a non-refundable fee.

£50-75 for consideration of foreign (outside British Isles) divorce/civil partnership dissolution documentation.

Bromley Registration Service


Tel: 0300 303 8667

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH