You and your baby - support and advice
Find out how to keep you and your baby healthy and well.
- NHS Choices - The NHS website provides help and advice on all aspects of looking after your new-born baby.
- Health visiting service - Your health visitor will provide advice and support to families from pregnancy and birth to primary school. Find your local clinic here.
- Vaccinations - Routine vaccinations are offered on the NHS to all babies and children. Use this NHS vaccination calendar to see when your child needs to have their vaccinations by.
- Baby development - You can use the NHS birth-to-five development timeline as a guide to your baby's development.
- Childhood Illnesses 0-5 Years - Guide on common childhood illnesses.
- Watch this short video about spotting sepsis in under 5's.
Start4Life – a NHS service
Getting babies healthy and active from birth gets them off to the best start. Visit Start4Life
Want more helpful tips and information on breastfeeding? Search Start4life. Here to answer your breastfeeding questions, 24/7. Find out more
Looking for breastfeeding support? Enable the Breastfeeding Friend from Start4Life on Amazon Echo and just ask Alexa.
With Healthy Start, you get free vouchers to spend on milk, plain fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables, and infant formula milk. You can also get free vitamins. Find out more
Support and advice
Looking after your new-born can be both challenging and rewarding. Always talk to your health visitor or GP if you have any concerns. You can also check out the links below for further help and advice.
- The Bromley Children Project - Visit your local Children and Family Centre to see what support is available for new parents.
- Post Natal Depression - The NHS Choices website offers help and advice to new mums who are feeling down or depressed after childbirth.
- Bromley and Lewisham Mind - Mindful Mums helps pregnant women and new mums in the London Borough of Bromley to look after themselves during what can be a challenging period of their lives.
- Gingerbread - Advice and support for single parents.
The following links offer advice and guidance on how to keep your baby safe from harm and will help give you peace of mind when looking after your little one.
- Hazards - Visit the NHS Choices website for a list of the most common accidents that affect young children and how to avoid them.
- First aid - The Bromley Children Project offer baby and toddler first aid courses at their Children and Family Centres.
- Car seats - We offer free, impartial advice on choosing and fitting your child car seat.
- Read the Safer sleep for babies: a guide for parents and watch the video on Safer sleep for babies, by the Lullaby Trust. Or visit the NHS website for more information on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Budgeting for baby can be difficult. Have a look at the links below for help and guidance on managing your finance as a new parent.
- Find out what benefits and allowances you may be entitled to as a new parent.
- Bromley Brighter Beginnings - Provides local families in financial need with essential items for their new-born baby.
- Bromley Borough Foodbank - Provides food and support to people experiencing crisis in the borough.
- Healthy Start Scheme - If you are pregnant or have a child under the age of four you could get Healthy Start vouchers to buy food and milk.
- You can find more information on Money Advice Service
Registering a birth
Any birth that takes place in the London Borough of Bromley must be registered at Bromley Register Office at one of four locations.
You can also find more information
- On the GOV.UK website