Permission to move 'abnormal loads' on Bromley's roads

You need Police and Council permission before moving large or heavy loads (known as 'abnormal loads') on the roads.  By law, you need to give two days notice to the police, the Highway Authority and bridge owners. 

If you are intending to transport an abnormal load within the borough, please contact us.

  • The notice period for loads over 150 tonnes, 6.1 metres wide or 27.4 metres long is different, and, if you are moving such loads, you need a special order from the Department of Transport
  • If the gross weight or axle exceeds those specified on the Construction and Use regulations, you must indemnify the Highway Authority and all bridge owners along your route.


Traffic engineering


Tel: 020 8313 4543

Civic Centre, Bromley, BR1 3UH