Census 2011 - key findings
The population of Bromley increased 4.7% since the 2001 census (295,532 in 2001 compared with 309,392 in 2011).
- Over 33% of the adult population are single
- Almost half the adult population (48.5%) is married or in a registered same-sex civil partnership
- 11% of adults are divorced or formerly in a same-sex civil partnership which is now legally dissolved or separated.
- Widows and widowers make up nearly 7% of the population
- Married couple households make up 34.4% of the total households
- One-person households represent 31.2% of all households
- Almost 31% of households have two or more cars or vans
- 77.4% of the population gave their ethnic origin as White British
- 85.6% of the population of Bromley were born in the UK
- 60.7% of the population gave their religion are Christian
- Over 66% of the economically active population are in employment with only 2.3% unemployed
- 13.3% of the population are retired
- Just over 33% of Bromley's population have qualification at a degree level or higher
- 71.7% of homes are owner occupied (owned outright, owned with a mortgage or loan or shared ownership)