Consumer advice

If you live or shop in Bromley you can get advice and information about how to resolve your consumer problems from the Citizens Advice consumer service. The service  provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues.

Consumer complaints reported to the Citizens Advice consumer service are logged on a national database which Trading Standards use to identify complaint trends and problem traders in their areas. 

Further sources of advice and information

The Trading Standards Institute also provides consumer advice and guidance on a range of subjects please choose from the list below.

In addition you can visit the free Which? website.

Citizens Advice consumer service

Tel: 03454 04 05 06

Big London Energy Switch

The Big London Energy Switch is a collective switching campaign, established by London Councils, to help households change their energy supplier to one offering cheaper gas and electricity tariffs. Residents don't have to live in one of the partner boroughs to participate.

Anyone who pays an energy bill can register for the scheme. So, if you want to pay less for your energy and switch suppliers without having to organise it for yourself, you should register your interest

The aim is to get as many London residents as possible to register and when sufficient have signed-up an 'energy auction' will take place to secure the best deals on offer. The chosen suppliers will then offer a new contract those who have registered (you are under no obligation to accept their offer). For more information visit