Travel grants (home to school)

Bromley children may be eligible for assistance with travel expenses from home to school.

Children aged 18 years and under in full-time education are eligible to travel free on London Transport Buses. 

Arrangements for young people over 16 are outlined in the 16 to 19 Transport Policy

Who can apply

You can apply for an Education Travel Grant if you are a resident of the London Borough of Bromley and you have exceptional circumstances, i.e. medical reasons or have moved to temporary accommodation, if:

  • your child is under 8 years old and has to travel more than 2 miles to a school, or
  • your child is over 8 years old and has to travel more than 2 miles and less than 6 miles to a school,

To be eligible for travel assistance you should be in receipt of Child Benefit and one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers' Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit only (gross income not exceeding £16,190)
  • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Support from NASS (National Asylum Seekers Service) or Local Authority Social Services Asylum Team.

We may also consider claims for travel assistance if the child has proven medical and welfare needs.

How to apply

You need to contact the transport officer who will confirm your entitlement to apply for assistance, you will be  then be sent a form to complete. You must return this with written evidence supporting your application from relevant professionals (such as a doctor or social worker). 

If you need  further help please contact the Transport Officer within the Admissions Team. 

Further information about how to apply for post 16 transport to education and training.

Contact the School Admissions Team


Tel: 020 8313 4044 ( Monday - Friday 12noon to 3pm)

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH