Children missing education

Children missing education refers to all children of compulsory school age who are not on a school roll, nor being educated otherwise and who have been out of any educational provision for a substantial period of time.

We are  committed to ensuring that all children receive a quality education and the council guarantees a robust response to any information received about a child who is thought to be missing from education. 

If you have concerns that a child may be missing education, it  is essential that you refer the matter to our  Education Welfare Service.

How to notify us

Please complete the missing education referral form or contact the Education Welfare Service. 

Removal of pupil from school register

All schools (including independent schools) have to notify us about students that have ceased to attend and now have a new provision. 

Notify us about removing a pupil from school admissions register

What happens next

On notification, the allocated officer will undertake all relevant enquiries; contact the family and young person in order to support them to reengage with education.

If at any time you have a reasonable concern that a child or young person has suffered significant harm or may be at immediate or acute risk of suffering significant harm, please contact children's social care.

Our policy and procedure 

Bromley children missing education policy and procedures document

Education welfare service