Street trading licence

If you want to trade on our streets you will need to apply for a temporary street trading licence. Please note there is a specific licence application form relating to the Bromley Charter Market.

Licence details

There are licensed street traders around the borough selling a variety of goods, including flowers, fruit, vegetables and ice cream.

Applications are made for a ‘pitch’ that is a set location from where you can trade. A street trading licence does not entitle the holder to move around.

Licences are granted when we have approved the location (pitch). We will refuse applications where there is not enough space in the street you wish to trade in or if street trading may cause interference or inconvenience to other street users.

Those applications accepted and set up as new traders are subject to a month probationary period after which Bromley Council reserve the right to withhold any licence extension/renewal.

Street traders should display their licence when trading. Please note that illegal street traders could receive fixed penalty notices (fines).

Tables and chairs or shop displays

If you wish to place tables and chairs, or goods on the public highway outside your business a street trading licence is also required.

Licences are issued at Bromley’s discretion and we will refuse applications where there is not enough space on the pavement for your table and chairs or display without causing disruption or inconvenience to other street users.

Establishments wishing place tables and chairs on the highway and who join our Community Toilet Scheme are offered a 25 percent discount on the licence fees.


Street trading licence schedule of fees

There is a £15 non-refundable administration charge.

Online payments

Our payment service provider Capita has updated the security used when you make a payment online. If you are using older software and versions of web browsers you may find that you are unable to complete payments on this website.  


Licences are issued for 6 month periods running 1 April to 30 September and 1 October to 31 March.

Licences are automatically renewed for traders who request this option, otherwise must be reapplied for once expired to continue trading.

Please allow 10 working days for your application to be processed.

Private Forecourts and Unadopted Roads 

Trading, tables and chairs or shop displays on private forecourts do not require a street trading licence but the private forecourt, trade and display must all be associated with the main business. 

Any business or individual party wishing to use a private forecourt they do not own will require a street trading licence if they are within 7 metres of the highway.

Unadopted roads are still part of the borough’s highway network and do require a street trading licence. Only private roads where public access is restricted or controlled do not need a licence.

A - Boards

Bromley do not licence A-Boards however we do expect businesses to be responsible when placing any A-Boards on the pavement and ensure that they are not:

  • placed in the middle of the pavement or where they cause an obstruction
  • restrict the width of the pavement such that a wheelchair or pram could not pass
  • attached in any way to street furniture (lamp columns, railings, posts etc)

If we feel that an A-Board is causing issues for pedestrians and other street users we will ask the business or organisation to remove or relocate it. Failure to comply may result in us removing the A-Board and issuing a Fixed Penalty Notice for obstruction.

Appeal a licence decision 

Anyone who believes they have been unfairly refused an application or subject to a decision which unfairly impacts their trading can submit an appeal

Eugo Logo Small