Food safety for businesses

The information provided in the pages and web links below are intended to provide guidance and advice for new and existing food businesses to help you to comply with food safety law and provide safer food for your customers.

Food Standards Agency guidance

E. coli O157 cross contamination guidance

Guidance to reduce the risk of E. coli O157 cross contamination in your business.

Food hygiene for businesses

What you and your staff must do to run your food business in safe and hygienic way. Food safety and hygiene guidance and publications for caterers and retailers.

Distance selling guidance for food businesses

Guidance for food businesses selling food online, for takeaway or for delivery.

Distance selling means any selling carried out without face-to-face contact with the consumer, e.g. via the internet, text messaging, phone calls, faxing, interactive TV or mail order.

Fish and shellfish

Guidance and information for the hygienic production of fish and shellfish.

Packaging and labelling

How to label your food packaging products and the legal requirements that you have to follow as a food business.

Allergen guidance and resources for business

Guidance and materials to assist food businesses in implementing and complying with the Food Information for Consumers Regulations. 

Food Allergen Labelling

Guidance on food allergen labelling requirements and how they apply to the food manufacturing industry.

British Hospitality Association

Industry guide to good hygiene practice - catering guide

To build a successful business, all caterers want and need to serve safe food.  The Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Catering Guide is available for purchase from the British Hospitality Association and is intended to give advice and guidance to caterers on how to comply with their legal obligations under Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs and with UK Food Hygiene Regulations.

Food waste and general waste disposal

Disposal of waste food of animal origin and cooking oil

Waste food of animal origin must be disposed of safely to control the risk of disease to both animals and humans. 

Food and waste disposal

All food businesses, including those involved in catering, food production, food preparation, retail premises, restaurants, pubs, cafes, and fast-food shops are required to have a waste disposal contract for general food waste.

Is your food business registered?

It is a legal requirement that all food businesses operating within the London Borough of Bromley register their business with the council at least 28 days before you start to trade. Please only register if you definitely intend to start trading. Find out how to register your food business.Once you have submitted a food business registration form you are free to trade.

Useful contacts