Reporting noise problems

Out of hours noise service

We aim to provide a responsive noise service outside office hours for ongoing ' eligible emergency' noise problems which are:

  • Noisy parties that affect more than one property (May to September only)
  • Noise issues on the referral list that are occurring at the time of the call (referral case reference number required)
  • Continuous intruder alarms
  • Noisy construction sites operating after 1pm Saturday, on a Sunday or a Bank Holiday
  • Licensed premises (loud music)

The service is not for dealing with noise complaints which already being investigated, or which can be reported during office hours for investigation. 

What we will do

You will be connected to the out of hours call centre who will record the details of the complaint. You will need to provide your name, address and contact telephone number along with the details of the complaint including the address where the nuisance is occurring.

If these details are not provided, this will affect the ability to investigate the complaint. If your issue is not ongoing at the time of your call, the matter will be passed for investigation during office hours.

  • Anonymous complaints will not be accepted.
  • If your OOH issue is eligible and the noise is ongoing, the details of the will be passed to the emergency duty noise officer who will prioritise the complaint based on case history, the nature of disturbance, and the number of residents affected. The emergency duty noise officer will call you back to explain the next steps, which may require a visit to your premises and the particular room affected.
  • During periods of high demand, delays in response may occur, and visits to premises may not be possible. This also applies if your call was received during the last operational hour of the service, or where resources are affected for some reason. In these instances you will be advised and the case will be progressed within office hours.
  • If your complaint is not deemed eligible for an emergency response, your complaint will be logged and referred to the nuisance and antisocial behaviour team for investigation during office hours.

What we expect of you

  • If the noise ceases before officers attend, call the service to cancel your visit request, so that we may attend another resident.
  • In interactions with officers on the phone and in person residents are expected to be courteous and adhere to social distancing requests.
  • You may be asked to provide a supporting statement in cases where enforcement action is necessary.
  • You will allow access to your home if officers need to assess noise within it.
  • You will provide clear and accurate information about the nature of your complaint including the duration and frequency of the noise.

Out of hours noise service

6:00pm to 1:00am Monday to Friday and 10:00am to 1:00am weekends and bank holidays

Tel: 0300 303 8671

Public protection


Tel: 0300 303 8657

Fax: 020 8313 4450

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH