Intruder alarm noise

If you are being affected by a noisy intruder alarm on a domestic or commercial premises, contact us and we may be able to take action if it is causing a nuisance.

What we will do

  • We will try to find out whether there are any key holders for the premises.
  • If we are unable to contact any key holders to switch the alarm off we will visit the premises to confirm that the alarm is causing a nuisance.
  • If we find it is a nuisance we will consider taking formal action under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to switch the alarm off.
  • We can serve a notice on the premises and employ a contractor to disable the alarm. This may include breaking into the premises if required.
  • Later we will recover all costs we incur from the owner of the premises.

What you should do

First contact the police as the alarm may be operating correctly and the premises may have been broken into. 

If the police are unable to assist, contact us with the details of the premises, including the address and how long the alarm has been ringing and whether it is ringing intermittently or continuously.  

Legally, we cannot take anonymous complaints, so we need your personal details, including name, address and a contact telephone number. Be assured, your personal details will be treated as confidential. If you call us outside normal working hours you should use the out of hours emergency number. 

Public protection


Tel: 0300 303 8657

Fax: 020 8313 4450

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH