Aircraft noise

We can all be affected by noise from aircraft which fly overhead at both low and high altitude. The aircraft usually originate from Biggin Hill Airport in the south of the Borough, as well as London Heathrow, London Gatwick and London City Airports which are all outside the borough.


 Aircraft from various airports fly over the borough. In most cases, the aircraft do not give rise to complaints unless they are lower or louder than normal or are larger than people are used to.

Aircraft in flight are exempt from normal Environmental Protection legislation which means that the council cannot take legal action against individual aircraft or pilots.  If you have a complaint about aircraft noise, you should generally direct to it the airport where you think the aircraft was operating from. They have a duty to investigate your complaint and respond to you. 

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the UK's independent specialist aviation regulator with responsibility for regulating airspace over the UK, considers aircraft noise when carrying out part of its official duties.  To find out more about the role and work of the CAA, visit their website at  You can submit information about aircraft noise problems to the CAA using their online reporting form.

Public protection


Tel: 0300 303 8657

Fax: 020 8313 4450

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH