Noise - loud music and televisions

We can investigate noise problems caused by loud music and excessive television volume and take action should the problem be classed as a Statutory Nuisance.

You can help prevent noise nuisance from your music by following a few simple guidelines.

  • Keep the volume to a reasonable level, particularly at night.
  • Consider using headphones
  • Place speakers away from partition walls, floors and ceilings (this applies to TVs too).
  • Keep windows and doors shut, particularly in the summer

What you should do

If you are experiencing a problem with loud music we would initially suggest you:

  • Speak to your neighbour politely - they may genuinely unaware that that their actions are causing a problem to you.
  • If you feel unable to talk to them directly, write to them explaining that their noise is causing a problem.
  • Keep a written record of dates and times that the noise happens and what effects it has on you.

What we will do

If we receive a complaint about noise we are obliged by law to investigate it. The investigation may include:

  • Asking you to complete log sheets to show how often and for how long you are being disturbed.
  • Installing recording equipment in your property and/or arranging monitoring visits to witness in person to gain further evidence of the problem.
  • If we are satisfied that the noise constitutes a Statutory Nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, an Abatement Notice will be served requiring the subject to stop the disturbance. If the Notice is not complied with, they could face a maximum fine of £5000 (domestic premises), or £20,000 (commercial/industrial premises).

How we investigate noise complaints

More detailed explanation on how your complaint will be investigated


Public protection


Tel: 0300 303 8657

Fax: 020 8313 4450

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH