Commercial bonfires

Commercial premises or builders should not use bonfires to dispose of any rubbish produced as a result of their operations. The burning of controlled waste is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Controlled waste includes treated wood, such as timbers, fence panels and furniture.  The only exception to this is the burning of diseased wood on site. 

Commercial premises or contractors may burn green waste, such as shrubs and trees, providing the materials have been removed from the same site and it does not cause a statutory nuisance to local residents. Please refer to the information on statutory nuisance for more information. If a bonfire produces black smoke, this could be an offence under the Clean Air Act 1993.

If our informal or formal approach is ignored then we will consider prosecuting the offender.  

Report commercial bonfire

Contact us

  • preferably by telephone so we can visit the premises whilst the fire is still burning
  • report commercial bonfire online (this is not guaranteed to reach us whilst the fire is still burning).
  • email
  • letter 

When you contact us we will need the address of the property where the bonfire is situated, as we cannot proceed without this information.

Public protection


Tel: 0300 303 8657

Fax: 020 8313 4450

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH