Street parties and public events

Street parties

Bromley Council is supportive of street parties, however, to ensure the relevant permissions and safety arrangements are in place prior to the event we require the party organiser to submit an application at least 10 weeks in advance of the event.

We aim to permit street parties free of charge, however, in some cases a road closure may be required which would incur a cost of £552.  Road closures are sometimes necessary to ensure the safety of people attending the party as well as pedestrians and motorists needing to access the road.  
In order to avoid the need for a road closure we recommend that street parties are held on ‘no through roads’.  We appreciate that this may not always be possible and will give consideration to other streets provided the road caters primarily for residential traffic; is not on a bus route and has a short and convenient diversion route available.  Once we receive and process your application, we will inform you if you require a closure.
We will notify the emergency services of your event.  Please note that whilst permission may be given to hold a party in your street, unless a road closure is in place, vehicles may still be able to use the road. 

Responsibilities of the party organiser

When holding a street party, the organiser must be responsible for the following:

  • Ensuring all local residents have been informed of the event and are in agreement for the street party to take place.
  • At each vehicle access point warning signs and flashing road danger lamps are required.  These are available from hire shops.
  • All temporary objects, such as tables and chairs must be easily moveable to allow for emergency vehicle access.
  • Any banners or bunting displayed across the road must be at least 7 metres above the road.  This will allow for easy access by emergency vehicles.
  • Temporary features to the road, such as decorations and litter must be removed when the party has finished.
  • Bonfires must not be held on any part of the road including grassed areas.
  • The positioning of a barbecue (or similar) needs to be agreed with the council.  If organisers are planning a barbecue we would ask them to contact us in advance. 
  • Any additional lighting that the party uses must not be run off the street lighting electricity supply.
  • The sale of alcohol is not permitted.


Party organisers are not required to have public liability insurance cover for their event but we strongly advise you to obtain cover for a minimum limit of indemnity of £2million.


To apply for a street party complete the street party application form.
If you would like to have a raffle at your street party see our lottery registration guide for further information.