School travel plans
We work with the majority of schools in Bromley to promote travelling to school by methods other than the car, the main objectives being to reduce congestion and improve safety outside school. We also support schools to become accredited under a national recognition scheme called STARs to Bronze, Silver or Gold level.
The benefits of completing a school travel plan are:
- Access to funding and support from Transport for London and borough officers
- An invitation for schools to an annual knowledge-sharing seminar and awards ceremony
- Advice and guidance from borough officers to help plan travel initiatives and apply for Accreditation status
- A Travel Plan can help school to achieve national awards such as Eco Schools and Healthy Schools
- Opportunities to get pupils engaged in current travel initiatives
- It can support the National Curriculum
- Gives access to toolkits which help pupils and staff get involved and run activities
- Works in conjunction with our Junior Travel Ambassador (JTA) scheme
Nearly 80 percent of schools in the borough have become accredited under the national scheme for the work they have done on their travel plans. We welcome interest from other schools in the borough and anyone else who would like to become involved in the project.