Common land enquiries

Common land enquiries show whether the land is within common land and not owned by the public or other body.


What are town and village greens and common land?

A simple definition is very hard to give. However, common land does not mean that citizens own the land in common. Often it is a piece of privately owned land where 'through ancient arrangement' specified people other than the owner, called 'commoners', enjoy a legal right 'in common' (collectively) to profit from the land in specified ways.

A search will show you if the land shown on your plan is within common land. 

Further information can be obtained from the Open Space Society on 01491 573535.

If you need more information on the legal aspects of this subject you should consult a solicitor. 

How to apply and cost

A common land enquiry is now answered under number 22 of the on the CON290 form. The charge for each question on the form is:

  • £15.60 if submitted with a CON29R form, or
  • £27.60 if submitted without form

Costs include VAT.

Cheques should be made payable to LB Bromley.

Local land charges


Tel: 020 8461 7909

Fax: 020 8461 7769

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH