Assessing a child or young person for special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities

Education, Health and Care needs assessment

For some children and young people, despite receiving additional support in their current education setting, there may be further concerns about the progress they are making and so a request for an Education Health and Care needs assessment can be made.

This needs assessment identifies clearly any special educational needs the child or young person has and allows the local authority to decide whether further support should be provided through and Education Health and Care plan. 

Requesting an assessment

A parent, young person, school, nursery or college, can ask the council to carry out an assessment.

If you wish to make a request for an EHC needs assessment for your child/young person, please go to request an EHC needs assessment

This link takes you to the online request form for processing by the Local Authority. You will be notified within six weeks of the request if a further needs assessment is to be made. 

Using your email address and personal details we will create your account and notify you of your logon details. You will receive an email from the Bromley EHC Hub with a link to follow to set up your password and two-factor authentication. We suggest that you also check your spam folder to ensure the registration email is not lost.

Once logged on to the system you can upload documents and amend the request form up until a decision is made. Please note that you will not be able to attach any additional evidence to your request form before it has been submitted to us. 

 Please see the Bromley EHC portal account registration video for guidance on setting up your account

It is preferable to use Google Chrome for the EHC online portal as this browser functions better with newer sites and programmes.

What happens after the council receive your request?

If the council agree your child needs to be assessed they will do it within 16 weeks.

They will give you a named case worker who will arrange a meeting with you. They'll also contact:

  • Teachers or staff at your child's school, nursery or college
  • An educational psychologist
  • Specialist teachers
  • A medical professional (usually a doctor, but may also include speech or physical therapists)
  • Children's social care (who will only give advice if they know your child)
  • Anyone else they need to talk to or you think they should talk to.

They will get information from them about your child's needs and how they affect their ability to learn.

Download timescales for EHC needs assessment and EHC plan.

Find out more about the EHC assessment process.

Involving you and your child

You and your child should be at the centre of the assessment process. They will make sure you have time to prepare for meetings and give you time to share your views. You can come to any examinations or assessments your child needs.

What happens after the assessment

If the council feel your child's needs cannot be met by the current school arrangement they will write an education, health and care plan for your child.

Find out more about education, health and care plans

If the council decide not to make an education, health and care plan

If the council decide not to write an education, health and care plan for your child they will tell you within 16 weeks of starting the education, health and care assessment why and how their needs will be met inside or outside the school. 

If you would like to appeal the council's decision, they will offer you mediation. Alternatively you have 2 months to appeal to a tribunal.

Other support

Even if the council don't give your child a plan, they may still offer support, such as SEN Support or a Pupil Resource Agreement.

Find out more about SEN support

Find out more about pupil resource agreements

Further information

Education, Health and care department responsibilities and contacts

Need more help?

Contact the Information, Advice and Support Service for free, impartial information, advice and support for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Support is also offered to children and young people with SEND. They can also help provide information in a non-web format.

Special educational needs


Tel: 020 8313 4739

Fax: 020 8313 4145

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH