Assessing a child or young person for special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities

Pupil Resource Agreement

It is important to remember that an EHC plan is only necessary for children and young people with more complex and enduring needs.

All schools and colleges have a delegated level of funding which can meet a child’s learning needs up to a level of £6,000 p.a. Additional support, or ‘top-up funding’, can be requested by schools, with parental agreement, after schools have demonstrated that they have used all the resources available to them and a ‘top-up’ is necessary to fully support the child’s needs effectively.

In Bromley, a process called a Pupil Resource Agreement is used in order to deliver this support in a person-centred way.

What is a Pupil Resource Agreement (PRA)?

This is an agreement between the council, school and parents where the level of support in school for the child requires ‘top-up’ funding above £6,000 per year.

This enables individual pupils’ learning needs to be met quickly, in a targeted way without the need to go through a 20 week process. It is produced in partnership with parents at a meeting with the school, the Educational Psychologist and any other professionals involved where outcomes and support levels are agreed.

The PRA is reviewed annually - just like an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan - and the funding mechanism is the same for both in mainstream schools. This means that a child with an EHC Plan with the same level of learning need as a child with a PRA would get the same level of resource.

A PRA is a non-statutory agreement, and parents do not have the same statutory rights that a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan brings, such as, parents or carers would not be able to express a preference for a school for their child, appeal decisions through the first-tier tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), or to request a personal budget.

However, if after a period of school based intervention at a particular funding level it is found that the resourcing is insufficient to meet needs then an interim review can be undertaken and a request for resources made.

Level of resources in Bromley schools

Levels of resource in Bromley schools are determined by the Bromley Banded Funding Guide.

Involving you and your child

The council will support all families, children and young people to participate as fully as possible in decisions relating to their lives and to be at the centre of the new system, irrespective of the level of need.

As parents and carers you will be fully involved in making decisions about the nature of the help and support your child receives.

The PRA reflects Bromley's aim to promote early intervention through working together with families, children and young people with less complex needs.

Moving to an EHC assessment

PRAs are regularly reviewed and an EHC Assessment and Plan may be recommended should your child’s needs change.

Find out more about EHC assessments