Disabilities and learning needs choosing a school

Most young people with special educational needs can be taught in mainstream schools – even if they do have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan. If your young person has more severe or complex needs they may need to go to a school with a special unit or a special school.

Primary school

Find out about applying for primary  schools

Secondary school

Find out about applying for secondary schools

Starting school

When you know what school your child will be going to you should speak to the head teacher or the school SENCO about your child’s needs. This will help the school to decide how to best support your child to give them the best possible start to their education.

Support for children and young people with severe or complex needs and disabilities

The majority of school aged children in Bromley will have their needs met within mainstream schools that support children with a wide range of special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities. We can provide specialist services and support to school age children with complex needs by working with other services in health, education, social care and the voluntary sector. This provides quality, timely and co-ordinated access to intervention and support for children and young people in mainstream schools, specialist provisions, schools and colleges.

Home to travel and transport assistance

For large numbers of children, getting to school will be a reasonable and safe walking experience. There will, however, be a small number of children with profound and complex educational needs for whom  Bromley Council will need to make arrangements to provide transport or travel assistance