Special educational needs and or disabilities choosing a school or college

SEND choosing and applying for primary school

The application deadline for children starting in school in September each year will be in January of that academic year.

Most children with SEND are educated in mainstream schools, but depending on the complexity of your child’s needs, you may want to consider a specialist placement

All schools, including academies, free schools and maintained schools have a SEND Policy Information report (SENDIR) which sets out the school’s approach to SEND. Many schools also have an SEN policy. Both are great places to start when you are choosing a school. Details of each individual school’s report and policy can be found on the school website.

It is important for you to note that if your child is being assessed for special educational needs – including an Education Health and Care needs assessment you should follow the standard process for applying for a primary school place. If you do not apply for a place and an EHC Plan is not issued for your child following the assessment you may miss out on a place at one of your preferred schools.

If your child does not have an Education, Health and Care Plan you will have apply for a primary school place in the same way as other parents.   

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan, the school named in their  EHC Plan must offer them a place.

Find out how to apply for a primary school - including infants and junior schools.

Choosing a mainstream school

Visiting local schools during their open days or taking a virtual tour will help you to consider which schools you prefer or think might be right for your child.  Visiting dates are publicised on individual schools’ websites.

It is important that all parents apply for a place in a mainstream class in a local mainstream school using the  Bromley school application process.

When choosing a mainstream school, you should find out:

  • whether the school has experience of children with similar needs and what strategies have been effective
  • what the school's special educational needs policy is
  • how you as a parent, the special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO), teaching and support staff will communicate about your child.
  • how your child would be supported in class and more widely in the school.
  • how you'd be involved in your child's learning and development

Most schools will also be happy to arrange a meeting with the SENCO before you apply for a place, so you can discuss your child’s needs and how the school would meet them.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan and you're unsure if a particular school is suitable for them, you can talk to your named EHCP coordinator

View a list of the mainstream schools in the borough.  (Includes SEND information reports)

Choosing a school with an additionally resourced provision

Some mainstream schools across the borough have additionally resourced provisions special units to support deal with particular needs – such as complex learning difficulties, hearing impairments, social and communication difficulties, and speech and language disorders. To access one of these additionally resourced provisions special units your child will need to have been identified by Bromley Council as having a level of need where this type of specialist provision is required.

Choosing a special school

Special schools in Bromley (including Pupil Referral Units and alternative provision) only admit children with an Education, Health and Care Plans whose needs are such that only a special school placement would be able to meet the identified needs. 
View a list of:

Alternative provision in Bromley is listed below :

Bromley Trust Academy - Midfield Campus

The Tutorial Foundation - Bromley

TLC (the learning centre) -  Orpington 01689 824463

Find out more about the special educational needs assessment process

Find schools outside of the London Borough of Bromley

You can find details about schools outside of the London Borough of Bromley boundary via the governments schools finder database
A list of approved independent and non-maintained special institutions (Independent Special Schools – England and Wales and Special Post-16 institutions) is also available on the Gov.uk website.