Special educational needs and or disabilities choosing a school or college

SEND choosing and applying for secondary school

Most children with SEND are educated in mainstream schools, but depending on the complexity of your child’s needs, you may want to consider a specialist placement.

All schools, including academies, free schools and maintained schools have a SEND Policy Information report (SENDIR) which sets out the school’s approach to SEND. Many schools also have an SEN policy. Both are great places to start when you are choosing a school. Details of each school’s report and policy can be found on the individual schools' website. 

It is important for you to note that if your young person is being assessed  for special educational needs – including an Education, Health and Care needs assessment - you should follow the standard process for applying for a secondary school place.

If your child or young person does not have an Education, Health and Care Plan you will have to apply for a secondary school place in the same way as other parents. Find out how to apply for a secondary school

If your child or young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan, the school named in their or EHC Plan must offer them a place by 15 February in the year that they are due to start secondary school. 

If you do not apply for a place and an EHC Plan is not issued for your young person following the assessment  you may miss out on a place at one of your preferred schools

Choosing a mainstream school

Visiting local schools during their Open Days or taking a virtual tour will help you to consider which schools you prefer or think might be right for your child.  Visiting dates are publicised on individual schools’ websites

Every school publishes details about how it supports pupils with special educational needs. When choosing a mainstream school, you should find out:

  • whether the school has experience of young people with similar needs and what strategies have been effective
  • what the school's special educational needs policy is
  • how your young person would be supported in class
  • how you would be involved in your young person's learning and development.

Most schools will also be happy to arrange a meeting with the SENCO before you apply for a place, so you can discuss your child’s needs and how the school would meet them.

If your young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan and you are unsure if a particular school is suitable for them, you can talk to your named EHCP coordinator

View a list of mainstream schools in the borough

Choosing a school with additionally resourced provision 

Some mainstream schools across the borough have additionally resourced provisions to support particular needs – such as complex learning difficulties, hearing impairments, social and communication difficulties, and speech and language disorders.

To access one of these additionally resourced provisions your child will need to have been identified by Bromley Council as having a level of need where this type of specialist provision is required.

Choosing a special school

Special schools in Bromley (including Pupil Referral Units and alternative provision) only admit children with an Education, Health and Care Plans whose needs are such that only a special school placement would be able to meet the identified needs

Find out more about the special educational needs assessment process.

View a list of:

Alternative provision in Bromley is listed below :

Bromley Trust Academy - Hayes Campus

The Tutorial Foundation - Bromley

TLC (the learning centre) -  Orpington 01689 824463

Find schools outside of the London Borough of Bromley

You can find details about schools outside of the London Borough of Bromley boundary via the governments schools finder database
A list of approved independent and non-maintained special institutions (Independent Special Schools – England and Wales and Special Post-16 institutions) is also available on the Gov.uk website.