School age targeted and specialist education

The majority of school aged children in Bromley will have their needs met within mainstream schools that support children with a wide range of special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities.

We can provide specialist services and support to school age children with complex needs by working with other services in health, education, social care and the voluntary sector. This provides quality, timely and co-ordinated access to intervention and support for children and young people in mainstream schools, specialist provisions, schools and colleges.

A range of targeted or specialist education services and support is available for children and young people with severe or complex SEN and disabilities and who live in the borough.

This includes the following:

The Complex Needs Team

The Complex Needs Team works with schools, families and other services to support children and young people with more complex, and specialist SEN and disability needs.

The Advisory Teachers in the team provide advice and support to families and schools via referral. Specialist advice can be offered for one or a combination of the following reasons 

  • A family has moved into the borough
  • A child or young person is out of school or the school placement is vulnerable
  • A move between in-borough provisions is being considered – including transfer to a specialist provision
  • Consideration for an out-of-borough specialist education placement is required
  • Consideration of complex health needs in schools
  • Advice and strategies to schools to further support individual specialist educational needs
  • Attending interim and annual reviews for vulnerable children with complex specialist educational needs
  • Intensive key working with individual families and young people is required

The Advisory Teachers also support families, children and young people, and schools as key workers for complex cases following an agreement to carry out a statutory Education, Heath and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment.

Teachers will work closely with the family, and the child and young person, to support the completion of Section A of the EHC Plan and throughout the needs assessment process – including chairing the EHC planning meeting. Key working is part of a multi-agency team across Education, Health and Care in supporting the best outcomes for children and young people with a range of more complex needs and disabilities. Where possible children and young people are always invited to contribute to the assessment process and attend the EHC planning meetings.

Outreach support and advice is also given to specialist provisions and special schools as appropriate.

The Hearing Team (Griffins)

The Hearing Team supports hearing and vision impaired children from birth to 19 years. All teachers working in the team are experienced classroom teachers and have additional advanced specialist qualifications. The Team works with NHS Audiology Services, Cochlear Implant Teams, Speech and Language Therapists and other Health and Education professionals. Support and advice is provided for children and their families and carers from the time a hearing or vision loss is diagnosed.
This service will only accept referrals from Community Audiology, Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) or Tertiary Audiology Clinics. Each referral will be individually assessed and advice will be provided accordingly. Find out more about the Hearing and Vision Team (Griffins).

The Vision Team (Griffins)

The Vision Team provides specialist teaching and support for children and young people with vision impairment from birth to 19 years. All teachers in the Vision Team have a wide experience of working in mainstream and special schools, and early years settings. They all have the mandatory specialist teaching qualification for children with vision impairment.
Support and advice is given to children and young people and their families from the time a vision impairment is diagnosed or there is a concern about a child’s vision.
The Vision Team works closely with schools, settings, and families to ensure that children and young people with vision impairment are included socially, emotionally and educationally, enabling them to succeed in line with their sighted peers. The Vision Team has good working links and pathways of communication with local and London hospitals. Find out more about the Vision Team (Griffins)

Health Needs Child Specific Funding in Schools

Children and young people who have complex health needs but no learning needs, can be supported in mainstream schools if they require medical intervention or their condition requires very close supervision due to their health need. Referrals can be made by any professional known to the family.

Health Needs funding is intended for children and young people who do not have a statement of special educational needs or an Education, Heath and Care (EHC) Plan, but who have complex health needs and require additional support in order to have these needs met within schools.

The funding is for the child to have specific medical interventions or to support the procedures being carried out by a trained dual worker or assistant.

This can include children who have a variety of health requirements, such as gastrostomy tube feeds, insulin pump monitoring, Hickman lines, and support for those who have auto immune conditions.

The Team also support children with complex epilepsy, cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy, which are enduring and will require support longer term support. Schools have also received funding to support a specific shorter term health needs, such as unstable epilepsy, immediate complex medical need following an accident or operation, usually affecting mobility.

A member of the Complex Needs Team, in partnership with Health, will visit the family and school to assess the level of need, the reasonable adjustments to be made by the school. The recommendations for consideration of additional support are discussed and once support is agreed, this is regularly monitored and reviewed to reflect any change of need or circumstances.

Need more help?

Contact the Information, Advice and Support Service for free, impartial information, advice and support for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Support is also offered to children and young people with SEND. They can also help provide information in a non-web format.