West Wickham library and housing consultation underway
Published Tuesday, 20 July 2021
Consultation about an improved library in West Wickham is now underway, with the proposal also including plans for a small housing development behind the library.
Library users and interested residents are invited to visit West Wickham library this week where members of the project team will be available for the remainder of the week, when the library is open, on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 9.30am to 5.30pm. The exhibition will remain in place until Saturday 31 July and the consultation will formally close on 9 August 2021. Views can also be submitted online, with separate consultation also available for young library users.
The proposals for an extended and refurbished West Wickham library include:
- improvements to the children’s library
- provision of an outdoor classroom for children’s activities
- provision of a workshop space with 3D printers
- provision of community hire space
- more support for job seekers and local businesses
- increased number of PCs and work/study space
- provision of display space for the Bromley Historic Collections
- provision of Changing Places within the Community Toilets
- provision of a café with sheltered outdoor seatin
- improvements to the landscaping around the building
- mproved energy efficiency and sustainability of the building
Councillor Peter Morgan, Executive Councillor for Renewal and Recreation said, “We are ambitious for our libraries, which support so many aspects of our communities, including local businesses. The new facilities we are proposing would be a substantial upgrade of the existing library, with the housing element of the scheme not only making these proposals viable but also helping bring forwards much needed additional local housing.”
Councillor Morgan continued, “There is a long way to go before these proposals can actually go ahead, including submitting a planning application but the views of local people are important and will help us shape our proposals.”
The housing will be built behind the library in the car park, which is less utilised than the other public car parks in West Wickham. A mix of both socially rented housing and privately owned homes will be brought forwards which will also support the delivery and the investment in the library.
Details about the proposals, which are subject to the outcome of an envisaged planning application are also available by visiting the Brimelow McSweeney Architect website
For media enquiries, please contact Andrew Rogers, Communications Executive, on 020 8461 7670 or email email@example.com