Churchfields and Waldo Road to reopen by appointment only
Published Saturday, 2 May 2020
Churchfields and Waldo Road to reopen by appointment only.
A booking system to enable both Household Waste and Recycling Centres to re-open is to be trialled, with visits being restricted to by appointment only for the foreseeable future; along with stringent social distancing measures being set in place at both sites.
Residents needing to dispose of waste can book an appointment to attend either Waldo Road or Churchfields Road Household Waste and Recycling Centres, with initial appointments being accepted from Monday (4th May), with residents being able to book an appointment via the website.
Residents are also respectfully advised that without a prior booking and being in possession of a valid Bromley Council Waste pass, they should not attempt to visit either site until further notice, as you will unfortunately be refused entry.
The limited opening hours of the Waste and Recycling Centres, with ‘social distancing’ measures set in place to protect both members of the Public and Staff alike, will see a strictly limited number of visitors for the first week of operation, with a fuller roll out planned at the earliest possible opportunity, as soon as the changes have been fully tested and bedded down.
Councillor William Huntington-Thresher, Executive Councillor for Environment and Community Services said, “We are obviously aware that residents remain extremely keen to see both Waldo Road and Churchfields re-opened at the earliest possible opportunity and with staffing numbers now permitting, the time is right to try and do so.
As the first Borough in London to attempt to re-open our sites, we are approaching this exercise cautiously, as it does remain something of an experiment for now which we may very well have to learn from and quickly adapt to over the course of coming days, so please stick with us.
There will obviously be a need to clean the sites at frequent intervals during the course of each day and we absolutely need residents to understand the limited basis on which we are able to re-open the service, if we are to make this work between us.”
As part of the booking process, residents will be asked to only attend the site with a passenger from the same household if this person is required to physically help lift items from the vehicle, with staff only able to assist at a distance.
Both sites will open with restricted opening times of 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm on Saturday and 9am to 12pm on Sundays.
Until further notice, residents will only be able to arrive in a nominated vehicle, with the registration number needing to tally with the registration number given at the time of booking.
To enable social distancing to take place, residents will have limited options when on site to dispose of items, with staff then re-sorting items to extract recyclable material after residents have left.
Residents who are self-isolating due to COVID-19 or appear to be unwell should please not attend as you will not be permitted access to the site.
Visitors with a pre-booked appointment to the Reuse and Recycling Centres are pleased asked to:
- Plan their visit - Arrive on time – If you miss you appointment you may need to re-book.
- Ensure that you take your Bromley Council Waste permit with you.
- Do not book a visit to dispose of Green Garden Waste - a further announcement advising of the temporary reinstatement of the Green Garden Waste satellite sites at Shire Lane, Cotmandene and Norman Park will be made on Monday. These sites are designed to relieve any possible pressure on Churchfields and Waldo Road.
- Stay safe and protect others - visitors are asked to stay in their vehicles until directed to start disposing of material and also to keep their distance from staff and other residents whilst on-site. The number of people in a vehicle must be kept to a minimum, with only 1 passenger from the same household allowed to assist with lifting an item out of the vehicle.
- Respect the staff – they are doing an important job in difficult circumstances. Staff will not be able to help residents unload their cars and deposit their items in the right place as much as they normally are – so please be patient and recognise that staff will be doing the best to help in challenging circumstances.
Residents are also advised that a limited number of bulky waste collections will be able to pre-booked, with this booking service re-starting on a limited basis, with bookings starting from Monday. This service allows residents to dispose of bulky items of waste, for a fee, without needing to make a special journey and without needing to clean their car afterwards. During this time the scope of this service will be reduced to protect staff and residents.
For media enquiries, please contact Andrew Rogers, Communications Executive on 020 8461 7670 or email firstname.lastname@example.org