Online forms: Application for a council tax discount for a care worker
Care workers are people who are employed, usually by a charity or local authority, to provide care. Carers are unpaid. A carer is not entitled to a council tax discount if the person receiving care is the spouse or partner of the carer or a child of the carer who is under the age of 18.
Discounts for certain adults may result in a 25 per cent or 50 per cent reduction in their council tax bill. Please read these notes carefully to make sure you are eligible and that you use the correct form.
Discount for care workers
You may qualify for a discount if you are a care worker and you satisfy these criteria:
- you provide support or care to another person at the same address
- you are employed to provide support or care to that person, and were introduced to him or her by a charity or local authority
- you are earning no more than £44 per week
- you are working for at least 24 hours a week
- you are resident where the care is given or in premises which have been provided for the better performance of the work.
To apply for this discount please complete this form and send/e-mail us a copy of your payslip.
Or you may qualify for a discount if you are a carer and you satisfy these criteria:
- you have to be resident in the same home as the person who you provide care for
- you have to provide at least 35 hours a week of care to a person who is entitled to receive one of the following:
any rate of Attendance Allowance
the middle or highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance
any rate of the daily living activity component of Personal Independence Payment
an increase in his or her disablement pension
an increase in Constant Attendance Allowance
the person receiving care is not your spouse or partner or a child of yours who is under the age of 18.
To apply for this discount complete the online form and send/e-mail us the following evidence of the benefit being received and evidence that you reside at the same property, such as a bank statement with your name and the address on it. Please note that you do not have to be in receipt of a carer's allowance in order to claim council tax discounts.
Discounts will not apply if at least two people over 18 who live in the same property are counted for council tax purposes.