Informing us about changes to your council tax, housing benefit, business rates or landlord accounts.

Due to the current pandemic of Covid-19 in the UK, many of our services have had to change to protect both the public and staff. Consequently some of our services are working at a reduced capacity, but we aim to minimise any disruption and continue to provide services to all the residents and businesses in Bromley.

For council tax the easiest way to make a change is to go online and either register or login to your MyBromley Account where you can view your bill, register a change of address, apply for discount or exemption or set up or amend a direct debit. 

If you are having difficulty making payments and for all or other enquiries, please get in touch by completing our  revenues and benefits contact form. 

Universal Credit (UC) is a new benefit for people of working age. It aims to make it easier for people claiming benefits to move into work and to make the benefits system less complicated.

It is a single benefit that will replace the following benefits for people who are in or out of work:

  • Housing Benefit 
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit 
  • Working Tax Credit 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

Making a claim

If you need to make a new claim for any of the above benefits you will need to claim Universal Credit. You can apply at

There are exceptions to this and these are listed below, if you are in one of these groups you need to apply for Housing Benefit.

  •        You are a pensioner
  •        You are housed in temporary accommodation by Bromley Council

Apply for Housing Benefit 

If you are already in receipt of any of the six benefits above you will remain on that benefit until you have a significant change in your circumstances (PDF - 138.22 KB)

If you are already on Universal Credit you will remain on Universal Credit. If you need to advise Universal Credit of a change in your circumstances you should report the change by signing onto your Universal Credit account or by contacting them on 0800 328 9344.

How does Universal Credit work?

  • It will only be paid once a month into a bank, building society or credit union account.  
  • People who rent their home and are claiming Universal Credit will receive help with their rent in their Universal Credit payment because of this they will need to pay their landlord themselves.
  • Claimants who live with their partner, if they are both eligible, will get one monthly joint payment.  
  • It can take several weeks after a claim is made to get the first payment.  
  • It must be claimed online, or in certain limited circumstances by phone
  • If you cannot make a claim online, please contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644

Council tax payments whilst in receipt of Universal Credit

Universal Credit does not assist with your council tax payments. You must apply for Council Tax Support separately.  You can do this by completing the Universal Credit - Council Tax Support claim form

UC Discretional Housing Payment (UCDHP)

Discretionary housing payments are paid from a limited amount of money that central government gives to us every year. We can pay it to people with special financial or personal circumstances which indicate that they need extra help to pay their rent. We have to consider each case individually and on its own merit.

A DHP is not automatically awarded because your housing benefit does not cover your rent. DHP is not a benefit. It is a separate payment made at our discretion. Payments are usually made for a limited period to assist whilst the claimant seeks a longer-term solution. This could include obtaining cheaper accommodation, obtaining employment and/or increasing the number of hours worked.


Download and complete the Universal Credit discretionary housing payment application form (PDF - 128.26 KB)