How does it work?
Some two-year-olds are eligible for 570 hours of funded early education and childcare per academic year. This funding is often referred to as "15 hours funding" since children can receive a maximum of 15 hours per week throughout the school year, which spans 38 weeks. However, you have the flexibility to distribute the 570 hours over any number of weeks, ranging from 38 to 52 weeks. Whether you prefer fewer hours spread over more weeks or the maximum 15 hours during term time weeks only, the choice is yours.
Are you eligible?
You could be eligible under different criteria, economic grounds, No Recourse to Public Funds (NRFP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA), CLA, EHCP criteria can be explained in the links below. Information regarding criteria can be found by visiting Childcare choices website and the GOV.UK website.
What's even better is that children who qualify for the two-year-old funding can continue to benefit from it until they are eligible for the 3- and 4-year-old funding. Remember, your child doesn't have to use the full 15 hours—feel free to utilize as many or as few hours as you wish.
When to apply
|When your child turns 2||When to apply for 15 hours||When your child can start using 15 hours|
|Between 1 January and 31 March||Between 1 January and 31 March||1 April - start of summer term|
|Between 1 April and 31 August||Between 1 April and 31 August||1 September - start of autumn term|
|Between 1 September and 31 December||Between 1 September and 31 December||1 January - start of spring term|
Important to know
To ensure you make the most of this opportunity, here are some essential details you should know:
- Eligible children can claim the funding the term after they turn 2.
- Term start dates are 1 September, 1 January, and 1 April.
- You should apply during the term when your child turns 2, allowing them to start claiming the funding from the term following their birthday.
- Eligibility codes from the application are valid for 3 months only.
How to apply
Applying for two-year-old funding is a straightforward process. Follow the steps to get started:
Apply online using the Bromley eligibility checker:
- Access our convenient online eligibility checker through which you can apply.
- Fill out all information required to move forward with your application.
- Make sure all information entered is correct, as this could affect your result.
- Once completed, you'll immediately see if you have eligibility, and an email will be sent with your result.
- If you come back as eligible an email will be sent with your unique eligibility code which you should take to your chosen childcare provider.