Help while study

There are a number of ways in which you could receive support whilst studying:

  • You could get weekly payments through Care to Learn  if you're under 20 at the start of a publicly-funded course, such as a school or sixth form.
  • You can apply for Discretionary Learner Support  to pay for childcare if you're 20 or over and in further education, for example, if you're studying for an NVQ, BTEC or PGCE.
  • You can apply for a Childcare Grant  if you're in full-time higher education, to pay for childcare costs for children under 15 (or under 17 if they have special needs).

Care to Learn

You must be the main carer for your child. Your course must be publicly funded and you must choose your learning provider and childcare provider before you apply. You also need to make a new application for each year you claim.

Discretionary Learner Support

You must studying at a learning provider funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (check with your college). You must be 20 or over to get help with childcare costs. If you’re 19, apply for Care to Learn instead.

Childcare Grant

If your child is cared for at home, the carer cannot be a relative and must be on the Ofsted Early Years Register or General Childcare Register - check with your provider.

How to apply

You can check your eligibility and apply at any time on the Childcare Choices site. 

Further information

For further information, please contact your childcare provider or visit Childcare Choices.