Social care occupational therapists (often known as OT) can help find solutions to keep you safe and independent in your own home.

An OT can make a home visit to carry out a holistic assessment which looks at your health – both mental and physical and social care needs, in order to suggest a range of solutions. These might include:

  • advice on other ways to manage tasks
  • some equipment to help
  • a personal alarm system to let people know if you need help
  • adaptations to your home
  • advice and guidance on suitable housing

Everyday equipment 

When you need a support with your daily task or to help you feel safe, there is plenty of equipment designed to help with different day-to-day activities. Here are just a few examples:

  • ​grab rails
  • bigger control knobs for the cooker or gas fire
  • trolleys for carrying things between rooms
  • kettle ‘tippers’ to help you pour the kettle safely
  • specially adapted beds and chairs
  • mobile or ceiling-mounted hoists
  • raised toilet seats and commodes
  • shower stools and bath seats
  • wall to floor rails
  • alterations to taps
  • alterations to steps
  • amplified doorbells and phones
  • talking clocks

Where can I get help and advice about equipment?

Ask Sara - A website designed to give impartial advice on equipment to help make daily living easier 

Many items of equipment can be purchased directly from a supplier

Online self assessment - For advice on equipment and adaptations or request an assessment with an OT you can complete this online form and we will contact you. 

Returning equipment

If you have loan equipment and wish to return it or report a fault, this service is managed by Medequip Assistive Technology.

Contact their office by phoning: 020 8319 5680 and they will be happy to assist you.

Out of hours

All emergency out of hours call outs are also managed through Medequip. For any emergency repairs after 5pm or during weekends and bank holidays for:

  • Beds
  • Hoists
  • Riser/recliner chairs
  • Pressure care mattresses

Telephone 020 8573 2871 for emergency call outs only on the equipment stated. 

Adaptations to help you live at home

If you are finding it difficulties getting around your home an OT might suggest some changes to your home to make it more suitable for your needs and to help you live at home independently.

Following an assessment, adaptations to your home might include:

  • ramps
  • wider doorways
  • stair lifts
  • wet floor/walk in showers
  • major alterations

Disabled facilities grants

This grant is means-tested for those registered disabled and who need to have alterations to the property. You would need an assessment carried out by an occupational therapist to assess your needs and the best options. 

Find out more about disabled facilities grants

Hearing impairment - Deaf Access 

People who are deaf and hard of hearing face many challenges while living in their homes. Our free service provides support, by way of specialist equipment. We organise home visits to carry out assessments, demonstrate and install the equipment and provide advice where needed.

  • We provide devices that will alert people to the door or entry-phone.
  • Equipment that will notify them that their telephone is ringing and enable them to be more confident while communicating on the phone.
  • Devices that will help them to get more pleasure out of watching television as well as hear better to communicate on a one to one basis.
  • We also make referrals to the London Fire Service for specialist smoke alarms for the deaf and hard of hearing. Please ask for more information.

You do not pay a fee for the equipment, it is on loan, we only ask that you keep it in good working order and return it when it is no longer needed.

Contact adult social care to find out more.

Sight impairment – Kent Association for the Blind (KAB) 

The Kent Association for the Blind (KAB) provide statutory services for Bromley residents who are blind / partially sighted. You may be referred to KAB for an assessment of your needs; they provide a range of interventions, including:

  • Registering adults and children as sight impaired / severely sight impaired (certification of visual impairment (CVI)).

The following services are for people over the age of 18 years old:

  • Information and advice.
  • Daily living skills, including equipment provision.
  • Mobility training.
  • Assistive technology support for computer, tablet or mobile phone use.
  • Volunteer and social events.

Contact KAB If you would like to refer yourself or someone you know

Children’s services are provided by the sensory support service

Who can use the occupational therapy service

The service is available to people of all age groups who are permanent residents of the London Borough of Bromley and who:

  • have a permanent and substantial disability;
  • experience difficulties with everyday activities of daily functioning within their homes;
  • meet our eligibility criteria for those who are seeking help from social services

Following an assessment of your needs by a social services care manager or social worker you may be referred to the occupational therapy service. A member of the occupational therapy team will visit you at home and assess your ability to carry out everyday tasks. He/she will then discuss with you how to maintain and increase your independence and ensure your safety at home.

This may include:

  • the provision of equipment and/or adaptations to your home;
  • advice about undertaking activities in a different way;
  • a programme of rehabilitation.
  • The occupational therapy worker will provide you with an action summary detailing how these aims can be achieved.

If your property is not suitable to meet your long-term needs, advice and guidance can be given to help you move to a more suitable property. The housing occupational therapist will assess why your current property is unsuitable and what property you require to meet your needs.

The occupational therapy service responds to cases in line with the Care Act 2014. Depending on priority of need your name may be placed on a waiting list. You will be advised by post if this is the case. If you feel your case needs to be reprioritised because your situation has changed within the waiting period please contact the service for advice.


Adaptations to your property can range from simple grab rails to major alterations. Small adaptations and equipment can be provided free of charge, but major adaptations are provided via a grant for which there may be a financial assessment.

Further information

For advice and information about occupational therapy, adaptions and equipment please contact adult social care to arrange an appointment.

Contact adult social care

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 020 8461 7777

Fax: 020 8464 7350

Kent Association for the Blind

Address: KAB Sight Centre, Community House, South Street, Bromley BR1 1RH

Telephone: 020 8464 8406