Under the provisions of the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855, a congregation may apply for a certified building of worship by applying to the Superintendent Registrar in the district where the venue is situated. This excludes churches or chapels of the Church of England, unless it shares a church building with another religious denomination.


The person who acts as 'minister', 'proprietor' or 'Trustee' at the place of worship has to complete form 76 (Form for certifying a place of meeting for religious worship under the places of worship registration act 1855).  Completed form 76 should be sent to the register office with a sketch of the floor plan identifying which rooms will be used for worship and an average weekly timetable of how the building will be used. We will contact you to take the statutory fee.

If you wish the place of worship to become a place where marriages can take place, you need to complete form 78 (certificate and application for the registration of a place of religious worship for the solemnisation of marriage under section 41 of the marriage act 1949).  This form requires signatures from 20 separate householders who say that the building is their usual place of worship and that they desire it to be registered for the solemnisation for marriages.  We will contact you to take the statutory fee.                                                                                                                                                 


Application for a building to be registered as a place of worship - £28. Application for a place of worship to be authorised for the solemnisation of marriage - £120

Next steps

Further information is available from the General Register Office. Contact us to make an application.  

Bromley registration service

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 0300 303 8667