Raising concerns at Bromley Council

Raising Concerns (Whistleblowing) can be defined as the raising of a concern, either within the workplace or externally, about a danger, risk, malpractice or wrong-doing which affects others. (Whistleblowing Commission’s Code of Practice).

Who can use this policy?

This  policy applies to all employees (including temporary and agency staff), suppliers, volunteers and contractors working on behalf of the council.

Are you concerned about:

  • breaches of the law
  • miscarriages of justice
  • health and safety risks, either to the public or people working for the council
  • the unauthorised use of public funds
  • possible fraud and corruption
  • sexual, physical, verbal or financial abuse of clients or
  • other unethical conduct or wrongdoing

Reporting your concerns

You may have reservations about expressing your concerns. However, we are committed to the highest possible standards of openness, probity and accountability. This policy is designed to enable people to raise concerns without fear of victimisation, subsequent discrimination, or disadvantage. This enables employees or others to raise serious concerns within the council rather than either overlooking a problem or "blowing the whistle" outside.

As set out in the raising concerns procedure, there are number of ways you can go about raising a concern. Concerns can be raised with the Chief Executive, Chairman, Audit and Risk Management Committee, Vice Chairman Audit and Risk Management Committee, Director of Corporate Services and Governance, Internal Audit or relevant external bodies. 

Councillor Code of Conduct

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 020 8461 7743