Our extra care housing is available for those aged 55 years and over, who have a range of care and support needs but require additional support.

Extra care housing offers the freedom to continue living independently in the community within a self-contained property, as a tenant with tenant’s rights and with on-site care and support services, tailored to meet your needs. It also has the benefit of enabling couples, who may have very different care needs, to stay together rather than one leaving to move to residential care.

  • Six schemes across the borough
  • 1 and 2 bedroom properties
  • Comfortable, flexible and adapted accommodation
  • On site staff day and night
  • Close to transport links
  • Gardens and communal spaces
  • Optional activities
  • Homely feel

We offer a range of accommodation from studio apartments to one and two bedrooms. These are allocated based on availability to meet your current and future needs.  Your accommodation will be provided under your own tenancy agreement.

Key features include

  • Modern fitted kitchen
  • Integrated electric oven, hob and extractor hood
  • Fridge/freezer
  • Plumbing for washing machine or dishwasher
  • Bathroom with shower/ wet room
  • Built-in cupboard space
  • Carpet in living room and bedrooms (this can be changed at your own cost)
  • Some schemes will accommodate taking your pet

Assessment of need

An assessment will be completed by a care manager who will aim to support you in your current home where possible. However, if this is no longer appropriate a move to extra care housing may enable you to remain living safely in the community and enhance the quality of your life.

Eligibility criteria

  • live in Bromley 
  • are over 55 years of age
  • are already receiving or entitled to a personal budget to meet assessed social care needs from the Council
  • have a physical or sensory disability, learning disability, or have been diagnosed with early on-set dementia or a dementia-related disability
  • have the capacity to sign a tenancy agreement, or have someone with a power of attorney or deputyship who can sign on your behalf
  • agree to a financial assessment
  • the relevant housing association are prepared to offer you a tenancy.

Adult supported assessment

Outcome of assessment

If the we support the assessment outcome, a nomination will be sent to the housing provider who will meet with you to discuss your tenancy. You will also meet with the care provider to discuss what type of care plan you will require.

Financial assessment

How much you pay for your housing and rent costs will depend on your financial circumstances. We will carry out a financial assessment to determine what your contribution should be towards your care and support needs.  Find out more about paying for your care.

Further information

View the extra care housing handbook