If you are a Bromley consumer or a business you can get help advice and information about the sale of all kinds of age restricted products.
Products which are restricted by age include:
- cigarettes - legal minimum age is 18 years
- alcohol - legal minimum age is 18 years
- fireworks - legal minimum age is 18 years
- aerosol paints - legal minimum age is 16 years
- knives - legal minimum age is 18 years
- lottery tickets - legal minimum age is 16 years
- DVDs - individually age restricted
Report underage sales to us
If you suspect that a local shop is selling age-restricted goods to children, contact us. We will investigate and, if necessary, arrange a properly supervised 'test purchase'. We will take legal action where necessary. If you need advice about the sale of restricted goods, contact us. We can only help you if the shop concerned is within the borough.
Proof of Age Cards
If you are under 25 you are probably used to being asked to prove your age in pubs, clubs, at the cinema and in shops when you buy age restricted products such as tobacco and alcohol. An alternative to taking your passport or driving licence out with you is to use a Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) approved proof of age card.
Several PASS approved cards are available which can be used throughout the UK, including the Proof of Age London (PAL) card.
Details about other card providers can be found on the PASS website.
Responsible Knife Retailer Agreement
Retailers selling knives in Bromley are being encouraged to sign up to a voluntary Responsible Retailer Agreement.
We can offer advice and guidance to businesses in Bromley about complying with the trading standards laws that restrict the sale of some goods to customers below a certain age. If you require advice about the sale of age restricted products, send us an email and we will contact you to discuss.
We can only help you if your business is located within the borough. If not, you should contact your local trading standards department. You can find contact details on the Trading Standards Institute website.
The Trading Standards Institute also provides advice and guidance, please choose from the list below:
Age restricted products
- Tobacco etc: packaging, labelling and advertising 2022-07-01
- Online sales of age-restricted products 2022-06-14
- Botox and cosmetic fillers 2022-06-13
- Knives, other bladed items and corrosive substances 2022-06-13
- Alcohol 2022-05-27
- Fireworks 2022-04-14
- Tobacco and nicotine inhaling products 2022-01-21
- Sunbeds 2021-12-10
- Crossbows, air weapons and imitation firearms 2021-11-18
- Cigarette lighter refills 2021-11-09
- Aerosol spray paints 2021-11-09
- Video recordings and games for sale and hire 2021-11-08