A public right of way is a footpath, bridleway or byway that you can use to travel along. We are responsible for maintaining over 300 public rights of way within the borough, covering more than 120 miles.

Some rights of way are also open to horse riders, cyclists or motorists:

  • Footpath - for use only by pedestrians
  • Bridleway - can be used by pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists
  • Byway - can be used by pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists and some vehicles.

Public rights of way are sometimes marked by signs stating that this is a public footpath. Rights of way should not be confused with pavements. 

The council is required to maintain a register of applications to modify the definitive map and statement. The definitive map and statement is each local authority’s record of public rights of way. The definitive map modification register will help to:

  • Increase the knowledge among landowners, users and the public about applications which could result in changes to the definitive map and/or the rights of way network.
  • Avoid duplication where more than one person may be thinking of applying to an authority for a change to the definitive map.
  • Increase certainty by making sure that people know about ways which landowners do not intend to dedicate as public rights of way.

A definitive map modification order can add a right of way of any status (footpath, bridleway, restricted byway, or byway). A definitive map modification order can modify the definitive map and statement. The definitive map modification order register includes claims that are yet to be decided and claims which have already been investigated and a decision reached as to whether an order should be made or not. Where the decision is to make an order, the register will show whether that order is confirmed. Where the council has rejected an application, the register will show the outcome of any appeal against that decision.

Find out more information on Rights of Way and Access privacy notice.

Public rights of way locations 

You can check the location of public rights of way in the borough.

Public rights of way map

If you have a problem using a right of way, for example if it is obstructed please report it.

Enter a postcode, or street name/area:

Further information

Find out about our rights of way improvement plan.

Modifications register

View details of applications that have been made under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 to modify the Definitive Map and Statement.