Access to Work

If you’re disabled or have a physical or mental health condition that makes it hard for you to do your job

Blue Badge Scheme

Parking concessions. Your child needs to be in receipt of the higher rate of the disability living allowance, mobility component 

Carer’s Allowance 

Carers may be able to get a benefit called a Carer's Allowance. This is a contribution towards the income of carers who are unable to work full-time. It is not a wage for caring

Council tax discount

You may qualify for a reduction in the valuation band of your property, if there is someone living in your property who is permanently physically disabled, providing a room has been set aside or adaptations or extensions have been made to the property, which are mainly used by the disabled person. 

 Direct payments children & young people (Short Breaks)

Short breaks can provide opportunities for disabled children and young people to have enjoyable experiences away from their primary carers, contributing to their social inclusion and personal and social development. They also provide the parents and carers of disabled children and young people with a necessary and valuable break from their caring responsibilities. 
Learn more about short breaks 

Direct payments (adults 18+)

Direct payments are made by us to people receiving social care services, instead of the council providing the service directly. Direct payments are payments for people who have been assessed as needing help from social care but they have decided they would like to arrange and pay for their own care and support instead of receiving them directly from Bromley Council.

Direct payments do not replace your current income and therefore do not affect any other benefits you may be receiving. Further information about homecare charges.

Disabled facilities grants

If you are disabled and meet the eligibility criteria we can offer grants to adapt your home

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

This is a tax-free benefit for children who require additional help with personal care, or have walking difficulties caused by a long-term health problem. You should consider applying if your child has a long-term illness, which affects their everyday activities, even if you do not consider your child to be disabled.The DLA is there to help you meet additional expenses caused by long-term health problems, such as higher heating bills, taxi fares, or additional laundry.

Making a claim can be a long, drawn out and emotionally draining process, but there is help at hand. DLA is non-means tested. This means it is not affected by any money the child or the child's family might have in the form of income or savings. Your child will not automatically be 'registered disabled' if they receive the DLA and it will not make it more difficult to get a job when they become an adult.

Disability premium

Disability premium is an extra amount automatically added to your Income Support if you qualify for it. 

Employment support allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work. 

Family fund

The UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people.

Motability scheme 

The higher rate of DLA, mobility component gives access to leasing or purchasing a car. Contact for further information.Road tax exemption (VED)

If your child gets the higher rate of DLA, mobility component and the vehicle is used solely for the purposes of the disabled child you may be entitled to road tax exemption.
Contact the National Benefit Enquiry Line for more information, on 0800 88 22 00.

Personal Independence Payments (16yrs +) 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability

School transport costs 

While the same basic rules apply to all children, Bromley Council can make a decision to provide transport on a case by case basis for a disabled child. Bromley Council will assess your child's needs when making a decision, taking into account your child's health and/or disability and their age. If your child is offered school transport, the vehicle should have the relevant equipment to suit your child's needs - for example ramps or lifts. Most local councils also provide escorts on school transport if needed. You may be able to get help with your own costs for taking your child to school. Bromley Council will be able to tell you if this is possible.

Road Tax Exemption
Types of vehicle that are free to tax (exempt), including vehicles used by disabled people, mobility scooters, and historic vehicles.

Online benefits calculator 
Check what benefits entitlement you may be eligible for