Informing us about changes to your council tax, housing benefit, business rates or landlord accounts.

For council tax the easiest way to make a change is to go online and either register or login to your MyBromley Account where you can view your bill, register a change of address, apply for discount or exemption or set up or amend a direct debit. 

If you are having difficulty making payments and for all or other enquiries, please get in touch by completing our revenues and benefits contact form.

Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit which helps people on a low income pay their rent.

You can only claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You are a pensioner or
  • You live in temporary/homeless accommodation, supported accommodation or in a refuge.

If you do not meet these criteria, you might be able to claim Universal Credit to help towards your housing costs.

Who cannot claim?

Even if you meet the criteria for Housing Benefit, you will be unable to claim if:

  • you have savings of over £16,000, unless you are aged 60 or over and getting the 'guarantee credit' of Pension Credit
  • you live in the home of a close relative
  • you are a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children)
  • you are an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK

If you live with a partner or civil partner only one of you can get housing benefit.

Applying for Housing Benefit

When you apply, we will ask you for:

  • proof of your identity
  • proof of your income and capital
  • details of anyone else who lives with you

Apply for Housing Benefit 

View the current Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates.

There is a limit on the amount of benefit a household can get. This is called the benefit cap.

Tenants under-occupying social housing will have their Housing Benefit payments reduced if the property is considered to be too large for the household's needs.

Change of address 

If you are receiving Housing Benefit you can notify us if you are moving within or out of the borough. Once we receive details we will suspend benefit payments at your old address . If your new address is within the borough we will send you another form which requests further information relating to your new rental liability at your new address if it is within the borough.

Housing benefit

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 0300 303 8670