Crossrail Business Rate Supplement (BRS)

In England, the Business Rate Supplements Act 2009 gives councils and the Greater London Authority (GLA) the power to levy a supplement (a BRS) on the national non-domestic rate with effect from 1 April 2010.

The GLA is introducing a new business rate supplement (BRS) for the 2011-12 financial year to finance £4.1 billion of the £15.9 billion Crossrail project.

Crossrail will provide a new railway across London connecting the outer suburbs and Heathrow to the West End, the City and Canary Wharf. 

Who will need to pay?

With effect from 1 April 2023 any business in London Boroughs and the City of London which have a rateable value of more that £75,000. Prior to this date it was £70,000. This may continue to be revised upwards in any year and automatically every five years.

How much will I need to pay if my property's rateable value is above £75,000?

The Crossrail BRS multiplier has been set at 2p in the pound.

What reliefs will apply?

Charities and community amateur sports clubs will be entitled to a mandatory 80 percent relief on their BRS contribution as applies under NNDR. If granted discretionary relief on all or part of the remaining 20 percent of their bill under NNDR by the billing authority, the same treatment will apply for the Crossrail BRS.

Empty properties will not be exempt from the BRS - except where they are eligible for empty property relief under NNDR.

More information

GLA - Business Rate Supplement 2024 to 2025

Further details about the Crossrail project and BRS are available on the GLA website.