Autism diagnostic pathways

If you believe yourself, child, young person or adult as being autistic, you may be considering being formally assessed. This may then result in a diagnosis of an autism spectrum condition (ASC).

Whilst many people and families may not wish to receive a formal diagnosis, some feel the Autism diagnosis is vital, as it means the appropriate support can be put in place to meet their short and long term needs or wishes.

In all cases, if you think a person may have autism, you should first talk to your GP or any other health, education, or social care professional working with you. Based on the information gathered, they might refer you onto a specialist Autism assessment pathway. You can ask for a referral through:

  • Doctor (GP based in Bromley),
  • Health visitor,
  • Other health care professional,
  • Teacher or someone else working in education (all age settings). 

Schools in Bromley would be expected to use their Social Communication Toolkit (SCT) to assess a child's needs, putting into place initial support. The school can get further advice and guidance from the Inclusion Support Advisory team (ISAT) as needed.

If further support is required the school can refer to the community paediatrician or the Bromley Heathcare complex communication diagnostic service. You cannot approach this service direct.

Autism is diagnosed by looking at a child or young person’s social communications and interactions to check whether their activities, personal interests and routines have any restricted or repetitive patterns. What parents/carers have noticed about their strengths and differences is vital to this process.

Parents and carers should work closely with their child’s paediatricians, GP, and health visitors to understand the child’s needs and help implement early support interventions.

For more information on the Bromley referral pathways download our social communication difficulties and autism information leaflets

Read the Do you know …? guide (PDF - 1.87 MB) for families with children and teenagers who have social and communication difficulties including autism. 

For support during this process, you can approach your child’s school and for many other services a diagnosis is not always needed to access support. See support services.