Appeals against council tax banding

You may appeal against your council tax banding if:

  • you have been liable for your property for less then 6 months and feel that the value at 1 April 1991 would have placed it in a different band
  • you believe that your property's value has altered due to a change in the physical state of the area or the demolition/conversion of part of the property.
  • The band has been set by the Valuation Office Agency within the last 6 months
  • You start or stop using part of the property for business purposes.

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) values domestic properties for council tax. This valuation is used to set your council tax band. You might need to contact the VOA if you think your council tax band is wrong.

General changes in the value of a property since 1 April 1991 are not grounds for appeal. More detailed information can be obtained from the valuation officer or by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website.

How to appeal

If you wish to appeal against the banding of your property you should contact the Valuation Officer (not the council).

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do at If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

You can contact the VOA at If you are unable to use the online service you can also contact the VOA on 03000 501 501 [English authorities] /03000 505 505 [Welsh authorities].

Valuation officer

Telephone: 03000 501501

Fax: 03000 506631