Keeping safe

Exit site

Cover your tracks

Following these suggestions is not a guarantee of safety but could help improve your safety. Remember, you know your abuser so only do what you think will help.

Always call 999 if you or your children are in danger.

Contact our advice service for support - Bromley and Croydon Women’s Aid

Concerned about someone else?

If you are concerned about someone experiencing domestic abuse, view Women’s Aid support advice information.

Victims can take steps to keep themselves safe.There are a number of services that offer support and information.

Information about dealing with safety planning and harassment can be found in The Survivors Handbook

National Domestic Abuse Helpline (NDAH)

Support line for all victims of domestic abuse including Refuge support – open all day, every day

NDAH offers advice and support to victims of domestic abuse including legal guidance, help with housing and finance and support in protecting victims and their children. The phone line is 24/7, 365 days a year.

Bromley and Croydon Women’s Aid (BCWA)

BCWA offer confidential advice and support to all residents and LBB staff members in Bromley. 

They provide a one stop shop of services such as solicitors and housing specialise alongside an IDVA service who help risk assess and safety planning.


Clare’s law (Domestic abuse disclosure scheme)

If you are concerned about your own safety Clare’s law gives you a way to apply for information about your partner’s history. It also enables a concerned family member, friend, neighbour, or colleague to apply for that information.

Clare’s Law, also known as the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme, can help people make an informed decision about whether to continue with a relationship, and provides support when making that choice.

Sanctuary scheme

Bromley residents that are experiencing violence or abuse qualify to be considered for a referral into the Sanctuary Scheme. Safe Partnership’s aim is to make the homes of victims and survivors of violence and abuse safe and secure so that they and their families can remain in their own homes.

For Sanctuary Scheme referral process: Domestic Abuse Professional’s Service Directory - Bromley Parenting Hub

Domestic abuse protection orders

The legal system provides a variety of measures to protect survivors of domestic violence and abuse from further abuse, including the threat of more violence, so they can live a safe life.

One route open to victims is to seek what is informally called an emergency injunction. Granted by a civil court, they are usually issued without the perpetrator knowing about it until they are served with the order.

Domestic Abuse & Violence Protection Orders · Information Guide · NCDV

The National centre for domestic abuse (NCDA) offers free emergency injunctions and further advice and guidance: Domestic Violence & Abuse · Emergency Injunction Service (

Further safety advice and safety planning:

Still living with an abuser: Still living with my abuser | Refuge National Domestic Abuse Helpline (

Planning to leave: Planning to leave my abuser | Refuge National Domestic Abuse Helpline (

Already left: Left my abuser | Refuge National Domestic Abuse Helpline (