The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 and the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016, places a duty on the council to keep a register for people who are interested in a self-build or custom-build home in the London Borough of Bromley.

What is self build and custom housebuilding? 

Self-build is where you purchase the land and build your own house on a single plot. You may build the house yourself or employ a builder, architect and, if necessary a project manager to oversee the build.

Custom Housebuilding is similar to self build homes but facilitated in some way by a developer. This still offers the chance to have a unique home, but through a more hands off approach than a traditional self build. Custom build can mean a single one-off home commissioned by an individual and built by a developer, through to a group of homes, built by a developer, but with the offer of bespoke design for the individual.

Who is eligible for entry on the register?

The register is split into two parts: entries on Part 1 of the register count towards the number of suitable serviced plots that the council must grant development permission for. Entries on Part 2 do not count towards the requirement for serviced plots, but the council must have regard to the entries on Part 2 when carrying out planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration functions.

You must be:

  • aged 18 or older;
  • a British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.

Applicants for Part 1 must also meet the local connection test which requires applicants to demonstrate a local connection to the borough.


Please see self-build and custom housebuilding guidance for further information, including examples of the supporting information required to address the local connection test.


To apply for entry onto the register, please submit your registration application.