Rogue traders and scams
- Scams are fraud so are dishonest ways of tricking people out of money or providing their personal or financial information
- Scams come in many different forms, post, internet, email, telephone, text or rogue traders on your doorstep
- They are variations on a theme. Be aware of the threat of coronavirus scams currently
- Do not be pressured!
Bromley trading standards alert!
These scams are mass-produced letters made to look like personal letters or important documents, in the hope of tricking the person who receives them into thinking that there is a non-existent prize or large cash sum available.
Internet scams can target people via email, bogus websites or social media. Do not click on any links or open attachments in suspicious emails. Forward any suspicious emails to email@example.com
Fraudsters often contact victims via a cold telephone call so if you are in any doubt, hang up. The call or text may seem convincing and could claim to be from the police, HMRC, your bank or a well-known business – you can always contact the genuine organisation directly to check but do not rely on details you might be given in the call or text. Forward any suspicious texts to 7726.
Scams can be directed towards anyone but often target older and more vulnerable people who are persuaded to part with large amounts of money, sometimes over and over again.
One of the best defences is being forewarned so that you, your family, friends and neighbours can spot a scam and take appropriate action.
How to report a scam
- Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline : 0808 223 11 33
- To report a scam call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040
- Contact your bank if you think you have been scammed.
If you or someone you know is thinking of giving or sending money in suspicious circumstances call our rapid response team on 07903 852090 first.
This rapid response service is for Bromley residents only; if you live outside the borough, please contact your local trading standards department through your local council.
Rapid response number
Tel: 07903 852090