Initially, if you are concerned that your child or young person may have special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities, you should talk to your child or young person’s early year’s worker, school teacher or the lead for SEN in the college.

Many children will have special educational needs at some time during their education. For most of them this will be a short-term need that can be met through the expertise and resources of their nursery, pre-school, school or college, or with advice and support from outside professionals. 

If the school, early years setting or college has identified that your child or young person has, or believes that your child or young person could have, special educational needs or disabilities they will assess them and put in place support to meet their needs. This is known as SEN Support. 

If your child is doing well at this level of support they may not need to go to the next level.

Very few children will have needs that are long-term or a disability or medical condition that significantly affects their learning. Where they may have a request for a formal Education Health and Care (EHC) assessment can be made

If your child is not in school or nursery, contact our Special Educational Needs Team, your health visitor or your GP.

Further information

Need more help?

Contact the Information, Advice and Support Service for free, impartial information, advice and support for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Support is also offered to children and young people with SEND. They can also help provide information in a non-web format.