Education, Health and Care needs assessment

For some children and young people, despite receiving additional support in their current education setting, there may be further concerns about the progress they are making and so a request for an Education Health and Care needs assessment can be made.

Requesting an assessment

A parent, carer or young person, school, nursery or college, can make a request for their council carry out a needs assessment.

This needs assessment identifies clearly any special educational needs the child or young person has and allows the local authority to decide whether further support should be provided through and Education Health and Care plan. 

If you would like to make a request for an EHC needs assessment for a child or young person, please use our online request an EHC needs assessment portal and form. You will be notified within six weeks of the request if a needs assessment is to be made.

Using your email address and personal details we will create your account and notify you of your logon details. You will receive an email from the Bromley EHC Hub with a link to follow to set up your password and two-factor authentication. We suggest that you also check your spam folder to ensure the registration email is not lost.

Once logged on to the system you can upload documents and amend the request form up until a decision is made. Please note that you will not be able to attach any additional evidence to your request form before it has been submitted to us. 

 Please see the Bromley EHC portal account registration video for guidance on setting up your account

It is preferable to use Google Chrome for the EHC online portal as this browser functions better with newer sites and programmes.

What happens after we receive your request?

Once we receive a request we will consider all the information provided and where we agree that an assessment is appropriate we will start the process and a decision as to whether we will issue an EHCP will be completed within 16 weeks of the date of the original request submission.

 You will be given a named case worker who will be your point of contact throughout the process  .

As part of the process, we will contact:

  • Teachers or staff at your child's school, nursery or the young person’s school or college
  • An educational psychologist
  • Specialist teachers
  • Any medical professional involved with the child or young person (usually a doctor, but may also include speech or physical therapists)
  • Children's social care (who will only give advice if they know your child)
  • Anyone else they need to consult with.

We will request information from these professionals about the child or young person’s needs and how these might be affecting their ability to learn.

Download timescales for EHC needs assessment and EHC plan.

Find out more about the EHC assessment process.

Involving you and your child

You and your child or young person are placed at the centre of the assessment process, and we will make sure you have time to prepare for meetings and know how and where you can share your views. You can come to any examinations or assessments your child needs.

What happens after the assessment

If, after assessment the information gathered identifies that the child or young person’s needs cannot be met by their current school or college arrangement we will start the process of drafting an education, health and care plan.

Find out more about education, health and care plans

If we decide not to draft an education, health and care plan

If we decide not to draft and issue an education, health and care plan for your child or a young person we will notify you within 16 weeks of starting the education, health and care assessment the reasons why and how their needs will be met inside or outside the school or college. 

If you would like to appeal our decision, you will be offered mediation. Alternatively you have 2 months to appeal to a tribunal.

Other support

Even if we don't agree to issue an EHC plan, we may still offer support, such as SEN Support or a Pupil Resource Agreement.

Find out more about SEN support

Find out more about pupil resource agreements

Further information

Education, Health and care department responsibilities and contacts

Need more help?

Contact the Information, Advice and Support Service for free, impartial information, advice and support for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Support is also offered to children and young people with SEND. They can also help provide information in a non-web format.

Special educational needs

Address: Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Telephone: 020 8313 4739

Fax: 020 8313 4145