Beckenham High Street Improvements
Improvement work in Beckenham is now underway, with all public areas between Beckenham Junction Station and the war memorial roundabout at the junction of Croydon Road and Rectory Road included in the scheme.
The work will make the High Street a more attractive environment for shoppers and visitors to the town and will help support businesses, with all phases of the initiative estimated to be complete in August 2018.
The £4.4m scheme is funded by Bromley Council in partnership with Transport for London.
ImprovementsThe improvements comprise:
- All the pavements will be re-laid in high quality paving
- The road surface will be re-laid
- To ease pedestrian crossing, improvements will be made the to road junctions between
- the High Street and Rectory Road and Albemarle Road,
- the High Street and Bromley Road and Church Avenue Road
- the High Street and Manor road and Kelsey Park Road
- the High Street and Rectory Road, Beckenham Road and Croydon Road.
- And at significant crossing points at or near the junction of Fairfield Road
- the High Street near the junction of Village Way and near the forecourt of Sainsbury's
- New, improved street lighting and feature lighting of trees and particular buildings.
- New signage and street trees.
- New bus stands.
- New facilities for cyclists including cycle stands, parking and a repair facility.
- Improvement to Beckenham Green, with new lighting, planters, facilities for regular markets and seating.
- Better integration of Beckenham Junction Station forecourt with the High Street
- Improving privately owned spaces such as at the Odeon cinema and Sainsbury’s forecourt to maximise their contribution to the amenity of the area.
- The introduction of shared space pavement parking to create more footway when no cars are parked.