If you wish to dispute a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN), please do not make payment at this stage.

You can:

We understand that for some motorists, making a challenge or representation against a PCN can be stressful and time consuming.

Our online service is designed to give information and guidance that relates specifically to the type of penalty received before the option to make an appeal.

You can select from a list of the most common reasons to appeal against your notice type and view the policy that relates to your reason, including the likely outcome of an appeal and type of supporting evidence required.  We hope this will help you decide whether to continue to make an appeal, view your photos, or make payment. 

You can normally use our online services to make your challenge/ representation or view photographs within 24 hours of the issue of the PCN.

The appeal process

Your PCN was issued in one of the following ways

  • parking contravention PCN issued in person by a civil enforcement officer
  • bus lane contravention PCN issued by post following CCTV evidence
  • parking or moving traffic contravention PCN issued by post following CCTV evidence or civil enforcement officer unable to serve the PCN on-street

The appeal process is governed by legislation which differs according to the method used to issue the PCN. You can make an informal challenge against the PCN in the first two cases above, but a formal representation applies to the third.  Further information about the different appeal processes that apply according to how the PCN was issued is available through the links at the top of this page.

When we receive your appeal, it will be logged as a challenge or formal representation (depending on how the penalty was issued and/or how far it has progressed). We will ensure that the case does not progress further and then write to you in due course to let you know the outcome and how much money is due, if any.

If you receive a Charge Certificate, it is too late for you to make a challenge or formal representation.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your formal representation, you may choose to appeal to the independent Environment and Traffic Adjudicators (ETA).

Alternatively, there are several ways to pay a PCN.

Parking (appeals)

Address: PO Box 1166, Wellington House, Uxbridge, UB8 9BD