Council tax - caring for disabled persons

If someone in your household provides care or support (or both) to another person in your home, they may be exempt from the personal element of council tax. This discount is dependent on the number of adults residing at the property. If there are other adults living at the premises who are not the carer or disabled person then there may be no reduction.

In order to qualify, the carer must be:

  • Providing care to a person who is in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
    • Higher rate attendance allowance
    • the higher rate of care component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) 
    • an increase in the rate of disablement pension
    • an increase in constant attendance allowance
  • Resident in the same dwelling as the person to whom he is providing care. 
  • Providing care for at least 35 hours per week on average
  • Not a disqualified relative* of the person receiving care

*Disqualified relative
You are a disqualified relative of another person for the purpose for claiming carers' discount if you are the husband or wife of the person you are providing care for (or live together as husband and wife, or if you are the parent of the other person who is a child under the age of 18 years.

If you have had the property adapted to meet the disabled persons needs, or they use a wheelchair indoors then you may also qualify for a reduction in the banding of your property.

Apply for discount/exemption  

Please complete the caring for disabled person discount form .

If you have any queries or would like assistance in completing the form please contact the helpline on 0300 303 8670.