Support for adults with mental health needs

Together with the Oxleas NHS Trust we provide an integrated service for people who have serious mental health problems, and their carers. Services are provided through Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs) based in Penge, Bromley and Orpington. The teams aim to treat mental illness and provide support to enable service users to live independently in the community.

If you need urgent help, phone the NHS 111 team or NHS Oxleas urgent advice line on 0800 3308590Call 999 if you are worried about immediate risk of harm to self or others.

Who can get support

Adults with mental health needs who meet the eligibility criteria for services and who require specialist support, and their carers. All service users must meet the following criteria:

  • the person concerned must be a resident of the borough and/or registered with a GP in the borough; or
  • homeless having been a resident in the borough; or
  • a temporary resident of the borough.
  • the person concerned must have an enduring mental illness or an acute mental illness requiring specialist services.

There are additional requirements regarding levels of risk and disability, and the level of need and care to maintain stability, as a result of suffering from mental ill health. Details can be found in The Care Programme Approach Procedural Guidance which is available at the Oxleas NHS Trust 

For more information about eligibility for receiving support please see the eligibility criteria for adults.

Community Mental Health Teams have a range of professionals working together including psychiatrists, nurses, occupational therapists, psychologists, support workers and social workers. An assessment of need will take place following a referral and if necessary a care co-ordinator will be identified to support and monitor care.

Hospital beds for inpatient care are based at Green Parks House, Princess Royal University Hospital. 


There is no charge for advice, information or for an assessment of need from Bromley Social Services and Oxleas NHS Trust.

However, depending on your financial circumstances you may be required to contribute to the cost of some of the services that are available. This will be fully discussed with you before arranging your care. For further information on cost please see domiciliary and homecare charges (PDF - 364KB).

Referrals and getting help

Referrals to Community Mental Health Teams are usually via GPs. A GP will refer someone if he/she considers the person concerned has an enduring mental illness or acute mental health problem requiring specialist support.

If you have concerns about your mental health or the mental health of someone you know or care for please contact your GP for advice as soon as possible.

If you need urgent help, phone the NHS 111 team or NHS Oxleas urgent advice line on 0800 3308590. Call 999 if you are worried about immediate risk of harm to self or others.